CIRQUE DU FREAK: A LIVING NIGHTMARE by Darren Shan

 Cirque du Freak: A Living Nightmare is a creepy, interesting, and well-written fantasy fiction novel that you certainly will not forget (or want to read before bed time).   I found myself unable to stop reading once I started, and the fact that the book is now a movie made me excited to finish.  This is one of the first books I actually found myself looking forward to reading.

The main character, Darren Shan, is an adventurous boy who enjoys things that will make you cringe in fear. He has quite a bit of courage, and will do anything for his best friend Steve.
   Darren is an average boy, but this will certainly change after all of the gruesome and heart pounding events that will occur in the midst of this novel. The dynamic plot includes things like witnessing a snake boy, a wolf man, and other deathly creatures, including a vampire and his pet spider; Madame Octa to name a few.
   All of these events amazing encounters began with shriveled poster which Darren and his friends find advertising a freak show, which reads the lettering ; Cirque du Freak.  They have no earthly idea what mysterious and wondrous events this paper holds. Ony two people can go, and Steve and Darren just happen to be the chosen ones. Once they make it to the scary and unusual atmosphere of the old building (which the show is being placed at) they know this will change them forever. It will also change Darren and Steve’s relationship because little did Darren know; Steve wanted to become a vampire. Steve confronts the Vampire after the show and asks to become one, but is denied for “bad blood”. But how would Steve feel if one day Darren must become a Vampire, even if it was to save him?
    “Yes, Steve snarled. I wanted to become one, but you’re the one who did. You planned this all along didn’t you? You told him I was evil. You made him reject me so that you could--.”
   “You’re talking nonsense, I sighed. I never wanted to become a vampire. I only agreed to join him in order to save your life!”
Shan used great character development throughout this novel. The author Shan shows in-depth feelings and first-person thoughts through  Darren, as well as feelings of other characters too. The book is easy to follow, the plot is also well thought out, and it is difficult to put down!
   I would have to rate this novel a 9 out of 10 because of the authors wonderful use of imagery, and interesting plot structure. I am very glad that I took the time to read this book, and I'm already working my way through book two of the Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant.
Reviewed by Jaxon Parrot
8th Grade

No comments:

Post a Comment